The English higher education system is very well known for its high standards and intelligent graduates; many people who have obtained high honors such as Nobel Peace Prizes have attended English universities. Like many higher education institutions, most students will start going to university from age 18 on, and study for some sort of academic degree.

Bachelor’s Degree (also called a Baccalaureate or Undergraduate Degree)

These degrees have been developed in such a way so that you can have a full understanding of a subject or field of study. In UK, the average amount of time needed to complete a bachelor’s level degree is approximately three years, but in some cases it could take four. There are different types of bachelor’s degrees offered in UK, including Bachelor of Arts (BA), Bachelor of Science (BSc), Bachelor of Education (BEd) and Bachelor of Engineering (BEng) degrees.

Foundation Degrees.

Another type of first degree that you can obtain in UK is called a Foundation Degree. This is the equivalent to two years in an honours degree program. If you opt to pursue a foundation degree, you will take classes that are related to your employment, similar to what some places would call an apprenticeship or an internship. Essentially, these degrees are meant to help you in the workplace if you opted to go into the workforce after you finished secondary school. You can complete a foundation degree, or you can decide to take the third year in order to complete an honours bachelor’s degree. Another type of degree, called a Higher National Diploma (HND), is similar in the sense that it is a two year certificate with a three-year option, but you must obtain good marks in order to qualify for the third year.

Diplomas and Certificates of Higher Education

These certificates are, like the two listed above, equivalent to the first two years of a bachelor’s degree program, and they can both lead to the third year. Diplomas of Higher Education (DipHE) are linked to particular professions in social work or medicine (such as nursing). Certificates of Higher Education (CertHE), on the other hand, are meant to help you gain confidence in your ability to perform at the university level or to help you change careers or progress in your current career.

Master’s Degrees

Even though most people associate Master’s Degrees with postgraduate studies, but some UK universities have added a specialized undergraduate Master’s Degree program to their curriculum. These programs are not incredibly common, but they are very appealing to many who were planning on going straight to postgraduate study after obtaining their first degree. These programs typically last for four years and include what you would typically learn when obtaining your first degree; it essentially melds your first degree and your first postgraduate degree into one program. These programs can end up saving the student money because they will be paying undergraduate fees throughout the entire degree program. If this interests you, take a look at the universities you are considering attending and see if they have this sort of program.

© Copyright 2014