- Completed application form proof of secondary school completion (usually 12 years of schooling)
- Certification of English language proficiency (usually a score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language [TOEFL])
- Evidence of financial support (required for the I-20 form)
- For Undergraduate : 10+2
- Graduate : 16 years of education required (10+2+4)
You can apply Masters in the US after completing 16 years of undergraduate education.
Since most of the Indian Colleges have 3 year undergraduate program, it is advisable to do one more year of education, could be a diploma or a certificate program to make your education complete of 16 years. The course has to be recognised and accredited.
- Good & Strong academic background
- SAT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, IELTS etc.
- Strong Recommendations Letter
- To the point Statement of Purpose, essays & resumes
- Certificates of extra curriculum activities if any
- Strong financial background & good grades to get the scholarships
In most parts of the world, the TOEFL is a computer-based test. In some areas, paper-based testing is also available. Paper-based tests are administered on predetermined dates; computer-based tests can be taken on an appointment basis. The test consists of mostly multiple-choice questions. An essay question is also required. The computer-based test contains four sections:
- Listening – This section is designed to test your understanding of English as it is spoken inAmerica. You will listen to dialogues, conversations and speeches using headphones. Then you will answer multiple-choice questions about the material.
- Structure – This section is designed to test your ability to understand written English. It covers formal English, rather than casual, or conversational English. The questions are multiple-choice.
- Reading – This section is designed to test your understanding of written passages similar to what you will have to read in an American school. The questions cover reading comprehension as well as vocabulary. Again, these questions are multiple-choice.
- Writing – This section asks you to write an essay in English. This section is designed to test your ability to write in English, as well as to develop, organize and support your arguments effectively.
The most common visa for students is the F1 visa that is a non-immigrant visa.
- Good Academic Grades
- I-20 form
- TOEFL/IELTS/GRE/GMAT/SAT (As per the university requirement)
- Proof of funds to be shown properly
It is always beneficial if you start early. You should start 12-18 months in advance before the date of enrolment , you get time to prepare a good application as well as avail scholarships and financial assistance.