Q. Who can apply for the UK student visa?

A. Nationals of all countries can apply for this visa.

Q. What are the age limits on Student visa?

A. Tier 4 (General) Student is for people coming to the United Kingdom for their post-16 education. Tier 4 (Child) Student is for children between the ages of 4 and 17 to come to the UK. Those aged between 4 and 15 may only be educated at independent fee-paying schools. Applicants aged 16-17 years studying on courses at National Qualification Framework level 3 or above have a choice of making an application either in the Tier 4 (General) Student category or the Tier 4 (Child) Student category. 16 and 17 year olds studying English language courses at level A2 of the Common European Framework of reference for Languages must apply under the Tier 4 (General) Student route. For any applicants under the age of 18, suitable arrangements must have been made for their travel, reception and care whilst in the United Kingdom.

Q. Do I need a sponsor?

A. Yes. All applicants under Tier 4 (General) Student and Tier 4 (Child) Student need a sponsor. The sponsor is an education provider offering the applicant a place on a course of study in the United Kingdom. An education provider will need to have registered with the UK Border Agency as a licensed sponsor. They will need to meet the requirements for the particular category within Tier 4 and accept certain responsibilities to help with immigration control. All sponsors are given an A rating or B rating when they join the register. A ‘B’ rating is a transitional rating and means that the sponsor is working with the UK Border Agency to improve their systems.

Q. What study related routes remain outside of PBS?

A. The following routes remain outside of PBS:

  • Prospective Students - for those coming to the UK to finalise arrangements for their course.
  • Student Visitors - for those coming to the UK for up to 6 months who do not intend to work and/or extend their stay.
  • Child Visitors - for under 18s coming to the UK to undertake a short course of study as part of a visit of up to 6 months.
  • Parents of children at school - for parent carers accompanying child students under the age of 12 to the United Kingdom.
  • Q. What are my biometric details?

    A. Biometric details are scans of all 10 fingers and a full-face digital photograph. You will need to provide your biometric details in person. The whole procedure should take no more than 5 minutes to complete. Your visa application will not be processed until you have met this requirement.

    Q. How are the points calculated?

    A. Points are awarded for having a valid Visa Letter issued by a licensed sponsor which is worth 30 points. In addition 10 points are given for fulfilling the Maintenance (Funds) requirement. Entry Clearance Officers will only award points where you have indicated that you wish to claim them, and for which you have supplied the required supporting evidence.

    Q. How long can I stay in UK on the student visa?

    A. Successful applicants will be granted a visa in line with the length of their initial course of study.

    Q. Can I work on while on the UK student visa?

    A. The Tier 4 (Adult) Student visa offers the student the benefit of developing an educational base in the UK while being permitted to work up to 20 hours per week during term periods. Tier 4 Student (Adult) visa holders are permitted to work full time during vacation periods without seeking further permission from the UK Border Agency.

    In some instances, graduate level students may be able to switch into a working visa category that could lead to settlement in the UK.

    Q. What are the requirements of the UK student visa?

    A. You have been offered a full-time place at a UK educational institution, you may be eligible to enter the UK on a Student Visa.

    • You must have a secured place at a UK-based institution for full-time study. Full-time means a minimum of 15 hours of classroom study per week.
    • You must be able to show that you can support yourself and pay for your course.
    • This is not a work visa however you can work part time to supplement your
    • income i.e 20 hours per week and 40 hours per week during holidays
    • You must plan to leave UK at the end of your studies.
    Q. What are the conditions of the UK Student Visa?
    • Successful applicants are normally granted a 1 year visa initially, depending on the length of the course.
    • Students may work for 20 hours per week in term time, and 40 hours per week during the holidays.
    • Partners and dependents are usually free to work as they choose, as long as the main applicant is going to be studying for longer than 1 year.

    Individuals wishing to study for 6 months or less may qualify for a student visitor visa, however visa nationals will still require entry clearance in this category. This type of visa does not allow for any form of employment.

    Q. How long is the UK student visa valid for?

    A. There is no set duration for the UK student visa however they are generally granted for 12 months. Typically they are determined by the length of the course that you intend on studying. The UK student can be extended by applying for a Further Leave to Remain (FLR) where applicants intend to follow completion of their course with another course of study.

    Q. Is it possible to switch to a UK work permit once in the UK?

    A. It is also possible to switch to a UK work permit however it is not easy and depend on you having an employment offer from a UK company.

    Q. If I don’t have a UK job offer can I switch to a skilled visa?

    A. You may qualify for a skilled visa however it is a points based immigration visa and your will need to satisfy certain requirements.

    Q. Can EWC assist with further visas once in the UK?

    A. EWC can assist you in obtaining your UK student visa before arriving and can also assist you, where possible, to extend your stay by viewing all visa options available to you and consulting you.

    Q. What services we can offer?
    • We can advise on the letter that the college is offering you and let you know if it is sufficient.
    • We can find a proper college or institution
    • We can provide assistance in completing the application forms.
    • We can advise and represent our clients’ dependants to seek dependant visas in line with the visa of the main applicant.
    • We can lodge an appeal (in-country only) or make a request for an administrative review if the applicant`s leave to remain or entry clearance application is turned down for some reason.
    • We can provide a UK kickstart pack including everything you need prior to departure to the UK.
    Q. How can I apply?

    A. Complete the application form and one of our team will respond in the next 24 hours.

    Q. Can I work on the UK Student visa?

    A. Unlike a UK visit visa, or travel visa application, applicants for study permits may take part-time or holiday work but must not engage in the following.

    • Work for more than 20 hours a week during term time (except in vacation periods), unless it is a work placement and part of a study program and the educational institution agrees.
    • Conduct business, be self-employed, or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer.
    • Work full-time in a permanent job.

    Q. Can I have my family with me on the UK Student visa?

    A. Spouse immigration is only permitted for married partners and unlike a fiance visa or De Facto visa, often known as an unmarried partner visa, your common-law or conjugal partner is not allowed to join you. Married partners will be granted leave to remain for a period equal to that granted to the student. During this time, they must be able to support themselves either independently or with the help of the applicant.

    Q. I want to travel to the UK via Ireland. Is this possible?

    A. Yes, but if you are coming to study in the UK and you want to travel to Ireland first, you should obtain UK entry clearance as a student in your home country before going to Ireland. The reasons for this are:

    you will probably not see any immigration officers when you enter the UK from Ireland, so you will not be able to apply for immigration permission to enter the UK

    if you do not get immigration permission when you enter the UK, and you are not a visa national, you will in most cases automatically have permission to be in the UK for three months, but you will not be allowed to work and you will not be able to extend your stay in the UK as a student or student visitor.

    Q. Can I come to the UK before I get a place on a course?

    A. Yes, but it is very important that you apply for entry clearance as a 'prospective student', and not as any other kind of visitor. You will be expected to provide evidence that you have made contact with institutions in the UK, for example letters inviting you for interviews in the UK. 'Prospective students' can stay in the UK for up to six months to make arrangements for their studies. When you have enrolled at a college or university, you will need to extend your stay in the UK as a 'student'. If you have not come to the UK with entry clearance in the immigration category of 'prospective student', you will not be able to do this in the UK and will have to return to your country to make this application.

    Q. Instead of returning to my home country to apply for entry clearance, can I post my passport to a friend in my home country and ask them to submit my application for me?

    A. No, you must not do this. The Immigration Rules say that you must be outside the UK when you apply for entry clearance. And the immigration permission that an entry clearance gives does not start if you do not use it to enter the UK. Why does it matter if I work too many hours or overstay in the UK (overstaying means allowing your immigration permission to expire without making an application to extend it)? This will have serious consequences for any future entry clearance applications that you make abroad. If you overstay for more than 28 days or work more hours than you are allowed to work, you may be barred from coming back to the UK for at least 12 months (and in some cases five or ten years).

    If you are found not to have told the truth in answer to questions on the entry clearance application form about your previous immigration behaviour in the UK, you are likely to be barred for ten years. It is likely to be difficult for you to obtain immigration extensions in the UK, too.

    Q. My passport or identity card tells me I need to register with the police. Do I really need to do this?

    A. Yes. If you forget to register with the police, this could have serious consequences for any future entry clearance applications that you make abroad. You could be barred from coming back to the UK for 12 months (and in some cases five or ten years).

    It will also cause problems for you obtaining immigration extensions in the UK.

    If your passport or identity card does not tell you to register with the police, you do not need to do this.

    Q. Does it matter if I try to claim welfare benefits?

    A. Yes. If you apply for a welfare benefit that you do not qualify for, you will have problems obtaining an immigration extension in the UK. You will also find that if you try to apply for entry clearance abroad, you may be barred from coming back to the UK for at least 12 months (and in some cases, five or ten years).

    Q. Should I keep a photocopy of my passport?

    A. Yes, keep photocopies of every page of every passport that you ever use to enter the UK (except for the blank pages). You may need to refer to them for future immigration applications, or in case your passport is lost or stolen. Remember to update the photocopy each time it shows a new journey.

    Also keep all the paperwork and documents you have that evidence each of your journeys to and from the UK. You might need these for future immigration applications, too.

    Q. What are the advantages to study in UK?
    • Requires only 15 years of education for direct entry into postgraduate programme;
    • International students studying at UK institutions are not required to obtain permission from the jobcentre to take spare time and vacation work;
    • In UK, most undergraduate degrees take only 3 years while postgraduate degrees take one year; you spend less time away from home and less money on course fees;
    • Educational institutions are constantly monitored and reviewed to ensure that courses offered are of high quality;
    • Qualifications from the UK are some of the most recognized and respected worldwide;
    • There is a high success rate for international students in the UK education system;
    • Health insurance is free to students who are studying in UK for 6 months of more;
    • There are many routes into education in UK, so chances of accessing the British system are high;
    • UK is the gateway to Europe, rich in history and has welcomed international students for hundreds of years.
    Q. Are Scholarships available?

    A. British universities and colleges are rarely able to offer scholarships for undergraduate studies, although some are available for exceptional students, especially for postgraduate courses in particular fields or for research.

    Q. If I have the required fund in my account but have limited time to arrive in uk, and I applied without my money being there for the said 28 days, will my application be refused?

    A. Most likely your application will be refused because this is one of the main requirements for the money to have been in your account for the last 28 days before submission of your application.

    Q. Who can show funds for study tier 4 in UK?

    A. A student can use money held in an account owned by his/her parents. The student will need to show evidence that he/she is related to his/her parent(s)/legal guardian and that the student has his/her parent(s)/legal guardian’s permission to use this money. The evidence of money held must be of cash funds in the bank (this includes savings accounts and current accounts even when notice must be given), as a loan letter or official financial or government sponsorship available to the applicant. Other accounts or financial instruments such as shares, bonds, overdrafts, credit cards and pension funds are not acceptable, regardless of notice period.

    Q. Does the sponsor will arrange for the accomodation?

    A. The Immigration authorities will require you to provide proof of sufficient funds not proof of accommodation. That’s why as long as you have the required minimum of funds there should be no problems at all and you won’t have to show proof for accommodation.

    Q. Can I work while extending my tier 4 adult visa?

    A. If your student visa is still valid there should be no problem to work under the visa terms and conditions. If it has already expired and you’re on visitor’s permit you are not allowed to work. Still it will be the best if you check this with the UK Home Office.

    Q. Can I maintain my fund through bank loan or not if yes what about amount and about loan sanction? loan disburse?

    A. To be able to apply for a Student visa you must provide a bank statement showing that you have the required funds in your account and that they have been there for at least 28 days before the time of your application. The required amount of sufficient funds is £600 / £800 per month for the first 9 months depending whether you will be staying out of London or in London. Apart of this you must have also either paid your tuition fee or you must have enough money to pay it on the top of the living expenses.

    Q. What steps are taken to check on Tier 4 student's working hours?

    A. As an adult student under Tier 4 (General), you are allowed to:

    • do part-time work during term time;
    • do full-time work during vacations;
    • do a work placement as part of your course.

    The maximum amount of part-time work you can do during term time is:

    • 20 hours per week if you are studying a course at or above UK degree level or a foundation degree course, and/or if you made your application to study under Tier 4 (General) on or before 2 March 2010;
    10 hours per week if you are studying a course that is below UK degree level and is not a foundation degree course, and you made your application to study under Tier 4 (General) on or after 3 March 2010.

    The work you do must not fill a full-time permanent vacancy (other than on a recognised Foundation Programme), and you must not be self-employed, employed as a doctor in training (except on a recognised Foundation Programme) or as a professional sportsperson (including coach) or entertainer.

    You can work full-time during vacation periods, within the above limits. If you have completed your course and you make an application to remain in the UK under the points-based system before your existing permission to stay expires, you can work full-time (within the above limits) until your application is decided.

    Q. Will the border agency reject my UK Tier4 student visa based on my previous UK visitor visa rejection?

    A. Unfortunately no one is able to answer your questions because the decision is taken from the Border Agency once they review your application!

    Q. Can I apply for a tier4 student visa after rejection of my UK visitor visa?

    A. There is no problem to apply for UK Student visa but it will be up to the Immigration Authorities if they will issue the visa.

    Q. Can I switch from work permit to student visa while being in uk?

    A. A person can apply under the Tier 4 (General) student category if he/she has, or was last given, permission to stay in any of the following categories:

    • Tier 4 (General) Student
    • Tier 4 (Child) Student
    • Tier 1 (Post-study Work) Migrant
    • Tier 2 Migrant
    • Participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or its predecessor, the Science and
    • Engineering Graduates Scheme)
    • Participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme
    • Postgraduate Doctor or Dentist
    • Prospective Student
    • Student
    • Student Nurse
    • Student Re-sitting an Examination
    • Student Writing-Up a Thesis
    • Student Union Sabbatical Officer
    • Work Permit Holder.

    If the visa that you have for the UK is one of the above then there should be no problem to apply for the UK Student visa from inside the UK.

    Q. In the event that a student visa application is refused on the grounds of showing the cash funds for the stipulated 28 days, can one reapply after the required funds have reached that 28 day period?

    A. There is no problem to apply once again once you meet the visa requirements. You will only need to write an explanation letter why your first visa application was rejected.

    Q. Are you required to have all of the funds before the 28 days period or can you have some and add some later?

    A. Yes, you must have all the required funds in your account at least 28 days before applying for the visa. Otherwise your visa will be refused.

© Copyright 2014