Q. Will my degree be recognized in other countries?

A. A degree from a Canadian university is recognized around the world and is usually equivalent to an American or Commonwealth degree. Professional and specialized programs such as medicine, nursing and engineering are accredited by reliable and reputable agencies.

Q. At what point I can start preparing my application?

A. Before you start packing, you must first be accepted to one of the recognized universities/schools in Canada, and only then you can apply for a Canadian student visa.

Q. What if the course I want to attend to is shorter than 6 months?

A. You do not need a study permit if you plan to take a course or program in Canada that lasts six months or less. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

Q. Will I need to have an interview?

A. Once the immigration officer has reviewed your application, they decide if an interview is necessary. If so, the visa officer will provide details of the time and place.

Q. What happens if my application is approved?

A.   A letter of introduction will be sent to you confirming the approval. This letter is not your study permit. Bring the letter of introduction with you to show to immigration officials at the point of entry when you arrive in Canada.

Q. What happens when I arrive in Canada?

A. When you arrive in Canada, the immigration officer at the port of entry will determine whether you may enter Canada and how long you may stay. You must leave Canada on or before the date set by the immigration officer or have your status extended by an immigration officer in Canada.

Q. Is there any difference in the process if I want to study in Quebec?

A. If you apply to study in Quebec, you need a certificate of acceptance or CAQ.

Q. What if I change my address?

A. If you move or change your address, telephone number or any other contact information after you submit your application, you must notify us immediately.

Q. How do I renew my study permit while I am in Canada?

A. If you want to renew your study permit, you must apply before the permit expires. If your study permit has expired, you must leave Canada. In some cases, you may be able to apply for restoration of status. However, you are not allowed to study until your status has been restored.

Q. Am I allowed to return home for a visit or travel outside Canada during my studies?

A. If you leave Canada and want to return, you must have:

  • a valid passport or travel documents
  • a valid study permit if you are returning to study in Canada and
  • a valid temporary resident visa if you are a citizen of a designated country for which Canada requires a visa.

If you are a citizen of a designated country and you travel to a country other than the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon, you will need a multiple-entry visa to re-enter Canada. If your temporary resident visa has expired or if your visa was only valid for a single entry, you must re-apply for a temporary resident visa at a Canadian visa office outside Canada before you can re-enter Canada.

Q. How do I find out if I can work while studying in Canada?

A. Foreign students can work in Canada during their studies, and after they graduate. In most cases, you will need to apply for one of the student-related work permits, which are required if you want to work in a co-op/internship placement, off campus, or after graduating from your studies (Post-Graduation Work Permit Program).

© Copyright 2014